Why the Benefits of Weight Loss Are Not Just Cosmetic
There’s no denying that obesity is an epidemic in the US. In fact, data from a recent CNN article shows that roughly 40% of Americans over age 20 are considered obese. An adult is considered obese if they have a BMI (body mass index) of 30 or more. The sneaky thing about weight gain is that it often is gradual over a number of years, so before long someone can easily gain 20-30 pounds over a several year period. While most people who are considered overweight would likely be interested in losing weight, it’s important to realize not only the cosmetic benefits of weight loss, but the many health benefits as well.
Gaining weight puts a significant strain on your body, which can lead to a variety of health problems. Below are just a few of the many benefits of weight loss, aside from the sheer fact that your body image will improve.
Benefits of Weight Loss That Aren’t Cosmetic
- Improved mood – Working out and losing weight doesn’t just improve your body image, but it also can exercise your mind. Working out releases endorphins which are responsible for that high that you feel after a workout.
- Better sleep – While napping on the couch may have contributed to your weight gain, good quality sleep can also help you shed those extra pounds. Weight loss has been shown to help you sleep better as well as longer each night while also cutting down on snoring and sleep conditions such as sleep apnea.
- Boost in sex drive – If you’ve found yourself too tired to get in the mood, it could be due to the extra weight you’re carrying around each day. Weight loss has been tied to increased libido and testosterone levels.
- Stress relief – There’s little doubt that adults are often extremely stressed. Thanks to all of the advances in technology including smartphones, it’s sometimes impossible to turn off obligations such as the never ending todo list or work email. Working out is one of the best ways to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Reduce joint pain – If you’re overweight, your joints are having to carry that extra weight around each and every day. If you’re feeling constant joint pain, exercise and weight loss may be a way to start feeling better, and of course looking better at the same time.
Perhaps the biggest health benefit of weight loss is the reduction of Visceral Fat around your internal organs. Higher amounts of visceral fat are associated with an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease,and insulin resistance.
Reach Out to Great Lakes Gastroenterology to Learn More About the Benefits of Weight Loss and how ReShape™can help you start your weight loss journey to better health.
To learn more about our non-surgical ReShape™ program At Great Lakes Gastroenterology, feel free to reach out to our team today at our Mentor, OH location at 440-205-1225.Leave a reply